Rohan Dennis' Customized BMC Trackmachine TR016. February 2015 — Products
Born to break records on the boards – the Trackmachine TR01 that Rohan Dennis will ride to challenge the existing UCI Hour Record in Grenchen on Sunday the 8th of February is serious eye-candy for bike-lovers.
A production BMC Trackmachine TR01, Dennis’ bike has been modified at BMC’s Impec Advanced R&D lab to improve its aerodynamics and stiffness. Designed and developed specifically for the Swiss National Track Team, the Trackma-chine is the most advanced track-specific bicycle in the world. In designing this track bike, BMC engineers prioritized direct head-wind conditions because of constant 0-yaw wind conditions typically encountered in velodromes. With no crosswind conditions to take into consideration, the Trackmachine TR01 has “free speed” written all over it and is armed with several structural features that make the bike virtually invisible to the wind:
- The complete aero package known as “subA” has an ultra-lean frontal area and integrated full-carbon hinge fork, 3:1 teardrop and truncated tube shapes, and tripwire technology - making the Trackmachine the most slippery machine found on the boards.
- SubA, combined with “p2p” (position-to-perform) triangle concept stem, pairs the aero advantage and a rider’s perfect position for an advantage like none other. To the wind, the Trackmachine TR01 is a true enemy.
- The full carbon construction of the machine makes for a feathery complete bike weight of 6.45kg. However, to accommodate UCI regulations the bike used in the UCI Hour Record attempt will have a fighting weight of 6.8kg.
The Impec Advanced R&D Lab Prepares the Trackmachine TR01 for Battle
According to Stefan Christ, Head of Product at BMC Switzerland “Rohan is a superb athlete and it is our duty to match his athletic capabilities with a bike of that same caliber. Some minor modifications to influence the aerodynamics and stiffness have been made to Rohan’s Trackmachine TR01. We felt these were necessary to ensure that Rohan’s bike is optimized to take on this highly specific challenge.”
The already space-age aerodynamic performance of the Trackmachine TR01 is astounding as an Omnium bike, but there was still room for marginal gains. The talented engineers of BMC’s Impec Advanced R&D Lab – made some customizations to an off-the-shelf BMC Trackmachine TR01 with a custom-molded cockpit. Having polished his preferred aerodynamic position at training camp in Spain just before Christmas, Dennis’ cockpit measurements were quickly delivered to the BMC headquarters. With measured precision and detailed work, engineers then mated the existing BMC Trackmachine 01 hinge fork and p2p stem to a 3T Brezza II Nano LTD handlebar using the most advanced composites in the cycling industry.
The final product accommodates Dennis’ position, while blending the shapes of the cockpit into very aerodynamically pleasing form; increasing front-end stiffness for the grueling standing-start.
Customized Drivetrain Componentry
BMC’s Impec Advanced R&D Lab have contributed further advancements in customized drivetrain componentry to cater to Dennis’ preferred crank and stance width. The time invested in training has left him most confident on his Shimano 9000 SRM-equipped road racing cranks. To create a perfect chain line for the non-track crank set, engineers at the Impec Advanced R&D Lab have also designed and milled custom-spaced track cogs to maximize drivetrain efficiency – no Watt shall be wasted.
Armed with a standard BMC Trackmachine TR01 frameset, support from the Impec Advanced R&D Lab and measureable performance data, Dennis is equipped to battle the shadows of prior record holders.
2015 BMC trackmachine TR01
- Web: trackmachine TR01
- Frame: 2015 Trackmachine TR01, p2p x subA, full carbon, replaceable alloy dropouts
- Fork: 2015 Trackmachine TR01, subA, full carbon hinge, custom integrated stem/bar
- Crank: Shimano 9000 175mm, 53-56T, SRM-equipped
- Chain: Shimano 9000 Dura-Ace (3/32”)
- Cog: Impec Advanced R&D Lab custom machined 13 / 14t
- Bar: 3T Brezza II Nano LTD, HM carbon, 30cm
- Seat: Fizik Arione R3 braided
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Tires: Continental Tempo 19mm, 15.5 bar