Evans Receives Customized BMC20. January 2015 — Road Team
Cadel Evans of the BMC Racing Team will ride the final WorldTour race of his career – the Santos Tour Down Under – on a customized BMC teammachine SLR01 featuring Aboriginal tribal designs, the comic character "Tintin," and various symbols that represent his professional cycling career and personality. (©Sirotti.)
The bike was conceptualized, developed and painted at the Impec Advanced R&D lab at BMC Switzerland’s headquarters in Switzerland. While the colors of his customized Tour Down Under bike primarily match his racing uniform (dominating red and black), the attention to detail is where the true story lies.
Key Features and Explanation
- Tintin on the top tube: as a young boy, Evans was fascinated with the comic character Tintin. According to him, Tintin is “the only cyclist who gets a framed picture on my bedroom wall.”
- Aboriginal cave art on the rear stays: Evans identifies closely with the Aboriginal culture, as he grew up close to a settlement. Three tribal circles symbolize three principle phases of Evan’s life to date: 1. Discovering a passion for cycling during his youth. 2. Becoming a professional cyclist. 3. Beginning a new chapter in life after cycling.
- Top tube design: the words “forever grateful” are written across the top tube as a token of gratitude to the world of cycling for all that it has given Evans throughout his career.
- Australian flag on the front forks: the Australian flag is featured on both forks. Evans’s sense of national pride has always been very strong.
- Gold stripe and rainbow bands on the down tube symbolize Evan’s victory in the individual time trial at the 2002 Commonwealth games and his win at the world road championships in 2009, respectively.
When presented with his new BMC, Evans said: “Even after 20 years of professional bike riding, I still love to get a new bike. It is like Christmas all over again, every time - hard to believe, but it's true! However, throughout my whole time in cycling it has been about riding the bike. Having a special bike to ride here during my last week as a professional cyclist makes the event more special. The bike reflects my own upbringing. We are racing here in Australia and it is a very Australian thing, with a European influence and also Tintin on the top tube. I am very grateful for everything that the two wheels of a bike has given me. Something special is always motivating. It would be a pleasure to have it seen out in front. We shall see.
A Thank You Gift from BMC Switzerland and the BMC Racing Team
BMC Switzerland Chief Executive Officer David Zurcher said the company wanted to give Evans something extra special for the last racing days of his career. After Evans competes in his own event, the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race, he will become an ambassador for BMC Switzerland. “This teammachine SLR01 is a gift, a thank you from BMC Switzerland and the BMC Racing Team for his contribution to the sport of professional cycling and to our company,” Zurcher said. “Cadel’s determination and dedication inspire us. It is an emotional time for this dearly loved, legendary athlete and riding on a personalized bike to commemorate this week at the Tour Down Under seemed very fitting.”
BMC Racing Team Audio Line
Listen to Cadel Evans on the BMC Racing Team Audio Line.